Friday, 17 April 2009

A shop update around tissue holders

It seems like forever since I last updated my shop...and that's probably because it is. I've been lucky enough to live off custom orders for the first part of the year (well, I seem to have written 'live off', but that makes it sounds like there's ever a possibility of Mr Teacakes becoming a kept man or that I have been the one funding weekly sprees in Waitrose...there's not and I haven't - I just meant that my time has been nicely filled!). In between the custom orders I have been making and squirrelling away some stock and then making and squirrelling away more stock in order to avoid having to photograph and then itemise for my website the first lot of stock that I made...this has been punctuated by urgent and intense studying of paint charts on days when I've felt like I really ought to be doing something other than more sewing for a shop for which I seemed incapable of getting round to updating (the paint charts are because I am hoping to change the colour of the front door to a lovely sagey green...but no amount of tester pots is bringing me nearer to quite the right green - it is so clear in my mind and so elusive on the colour charts).

But last night, in a fit of Teacake household efficiency, I took lots of photos, named and sized them and then when Mr Teacakes came in from playing football he loaded them all up for me, in between harrumphing about my inability to count (why were my product IDs unsequential and picked at random out of my head, he wondered...well, they weren't actually meant to be - I just seem to have lost the ability to count in a straight line without missing a number out here or there). While I tried to catch the last of the evening sunshine for my photographs my lovely mother looked after Dinosaur-boy and did general tidying...quite the nicest thing. There's nothing more delicious than coming downstairs and seeing that everything has cleaned itself without any involvement from me.

So there are now some new pencil rolls, tissue holders, summery handbags, slouchy make-up bags and a handful of new glasses cases on my site - but I was so surprised and delighted to turn on my computer this afternoon and find that a couple of things have already been sold...almost like elves had been in the shop overnight!

This post contains photographs of a small array of the vast number of tissue holders that I have created over the past couple of months...for no other reason than that a post without photos is just all wrong.

Enjoy your weekends. The Fired Earth paint chart arrived in the post this morning...so I'm off to analyse the different greens and hoping, really, really hoping very hard, that there might just be the perfect green in there. x

15 comments:

  1. Lovely designs - I'm sure they'll sell like 'hot cakes' with not an elf in sight.

    Good luck with the paint hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SUCH a cute idea :)! I also love the fabric :D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabrics you've used. Very pretty! I have just started my own blogshop and it is very exciting when you sell something x Gem

    ReplyDelete
  4. Green is hard to get right - I tried to turn my downstairs loo a lovely shade of green and have failed totally. Sadly, it remains as I thought it might grow on me. It hasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh those are so so so gorgeous!!! You picked great fabrics!!!! I noticed in one of your photos your bobbins are blue, are you by any chance using a newer model pfaff machine?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Florence, you always take such lovely photographs. It makes me wonder if you have large windows as the light quality is just wonderful. Gorgeous new things; not surprising they are already selling xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the tissue holders it would make having a cold a lovely thing ;-)

    i had the same problem with the green colour choice for my kitchen wall and finally found one i liked but it took a while!!! its annoying when you have the exact colour in your mind but cant find it ! good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, stunning, lovely. What more can I say? I have a husband who is similarly dismayed by my apparent lack of organization in the numbers department . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very lovely designs and fabric! I am finding that with my Etsy shop at the moment, a large custom order taking all my time. I can't wait to get back to making little bits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. we've just had a new sagey green front door! The right green is hard to find. I love your fabric combinations in the photos
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, it seems that everyone else finds green a nightmare too...oh dear.

    Yes, Amanada Elizabeth, it's a pfaff - a new one, but bought just before they transferred production over to China... so a sort of new/old one. I love it and can't imagine sewing with anything else now (and am even considering buying an identical one as a back-up machine). Do you have one?

    Thank you for all your lovely comments about my shop and the tissue holder. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. :) I have two! One is an older model and very very basic, I use it only for quilting. And my "newish" one is brand new but I haven't seen it since December! It's been repaired, the bobbin housing had a simple problem but because Pfaff was outsourced/bought out, the part was impossible to find!!! Do you mind sharing which one you have? Mine is the Performance 2058. I'm supposed to get it back this weekend though :) I can't decide if I want to keep it or sell it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amanda Elizabeth - yes, I have the Pfaff Classic Style Home 1529. Technically it's very basic, but it's a workhorse and seems to be able to sew through anything that I can throw at it. I loved my last sewing machine (which wasn't a Pfaff), but now having used this I think that the dual-feed and the way that it copes with varying thicknesses, as well as the feet available for it are fantastic and so wouldn't consider buying anything other than pfaff now (my last machine had an add-on walking foot - which was very noisy and not as effective). My local sewing shop, which is also a repair centre, told me that any that were made before production was transferred over to China will be incredibly well made and worth hanging on to - I don't know which batch your 2058 would fall into, so I'm not sure how helpful that is... I hope it's lovely when you pick it up though! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's great, Florence! I have been exactly the same, sitting on a small pile of made things but putting off the photography etc. The shop is looking lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like you are keeping very busy lately! You are just sewing and sewing one wonderful thing after another. I love your tissue holder design!
    ~Emily xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x