Monday, 10 August 2009

Things I have learnt about myself...

One of our holiday highlights was seeing this gorgeous Saddleback pig. At the start of a walk on a very rainy day we came upon a farm yard and as we approached, about twenty of these gorgeous little piglets came rushing towards us snorting adorably and pushing their snouts through the fence toward us. The curly tails, the coarse hair, the sad, but twinkly eyes...all four of us were quite taken with their utter perfection and the thought of seeing them at the end of our walk propelled us up and down a mountain more quickly than on any other day.

We climbed a mountain a day for the first four days of our visit to the Lake District...but on the fifth day I woke and had to confess to Mr Teacakes that the idea of putting on my muddy walking boots for another day of walking actually made me feel physically sick. As I had far surpassed his expectations of how many days of mud stalking I would actually happily participate in, he was more than willing to leave me at our lovely cottage for the day. I had gone truly believing that I might find my inner country girl lurking within....(although Joanne claims that she knew I wouldn't find her, even before I went. She is a wise one.), but actually I think that in the same way that Mr Teacakes finds the rush and buzz of Soho stiffling after a couple of hours, I find being surrounded by mountains on all sides induces vague feelings of claustraphobia. But these observations aside, we did have the most lovely time and luckily the Teacakes possess far more of Mr Teacakes' genes than my own and so continued to approach the climbing and mud tramping with enthusiastic gusto.

The night before we left home I started to feel incredibly twitchy about the prospect of a whole week without my sewing machine, and so found myself wedging embroidery hoops and linen into my over-packed bag. I spent some time embroidering these rows of dresses, but actually, I disappointed myself yet again, by realising that it's not hand-sewing that makes my heart sing - it is the pattern drawing, fabric-picking, hum of the sewing machine and hours spent making edges and lines marry up perfectly that makes me feel truly happy.

So this weekend we had another mini-holiday. One of our lovely friends was celebrating her birthday and we decided to stay in London overnight for her birthday party. A quick search on Last Minute found us booking a nameless hotel near to the party for the grand total of £58. Oh the joy of getting the confirmation email and it being revealed that we had booked some 5 star loveliness!

A couple of weeks ago the birthday girl's boyfriend had contacted me to ask if I would make a kimono for him to give to her - it's so flattering when someone wants to give something that I make as a birthday gift, so I was delighted. He chose this Sister Boom fabric from a selection that I had four metres of (which wasn't a very large selection), which I was really pleased about as it has an enormous repeat pattern, which means that there was more fun to be had in making it work so that the pattern ran centrally down the back...small things like that make me feel so much happier when working with an enormous volume of material which naturally allows less room for paying attention to tiny details.

After a lovely evening with a few too many mojitos we pottered over (actually we didn't potter at all, we jumped in a taxi as we discovered that you really need to start the day unstrenuously after a late night of rum drinking) to Fabrics Galore on Lavender Hill where I wanted to choose some suiting for autumn-winter bags. The wonderfulness of this shop never ceases to delight me, nor do the lovely people who run it and I came away with a very heavy bag. This is their current window display, which looked wonderful in the sunshine with all the butterfly shadows on the wall behind...although my photograph doesn't really do it justice.

Anyway, we finally have some glorious weather, so we are off to a friend's house today to make the most of it. Wishing you a lovely week. x

p.s. The blogger spellcheck seems to have taken leave, so please do try and avert your gaze from the spelling mistakes and typos that will undoubtedly litter this post!

13 comments:

  1. You couldn't embrace the footwear - it was a massive clue :)

    Glad to hear the FG trip was a success. I am so tempted to get into the car and go there right now, but I haven't had lunch, and you haven't tempted me with enough photos so I will restrain myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those dresses are seriously cute. what you going to use them for?

    and, I luurrve mojitos. mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE your embroidery! it's inspired me to go pull out my sewing basket and thread something myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you, Jacqueline!

    Oh no, Joanne - I knew I should really take photos to tempt you with, but actually, I think they're the sort of fabrics that will look better once they're made into something and aren't necessarily tempting to look at in isolation, if you see what I mean.

    The dresses are going to be framed and hung up in our downstairs loo - I find it's the perfect room to put up random things that I wouldn't probably end up finding a place for in the rest of the house. I'm so pleased you like them though - I've been meaning to get round to doing it for some time.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. All things in moderation! I like walks, but holidays are definitely a time for sitting and knitting and sewing!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that kimono, hope your friend did too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Florence. Beautiful Kimono! I too am a fan of Mohito's. YUM. And I know what you mean about sewing enjoyment. It's the whole process of putting it all together from the very start to the very finish. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. welcome back...it's nice to see you in this space again! lovely to read about your holiday adventures and lessons learned. your friend must have been thrilled with the kimono...it looks fantastic! and suiting for bags? i'm liking the idea of moving on to autumnal fabric projects myself even though the weather has improved! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the kimono - lucky recipient! I'll be in London with my husband next week (from Australia)so thank you so much for the information on Fabrics Galore (don't know if my husband would share my enthusiasm). We'll be taking a day trip to Birmingham for the quilt festival and I see that Fabrics will be there, so one way or another I hope to come away with some beautiful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the dress embroidery - much more productive than getting muddy up some hill thingy. Really good to see/read you again. best wishes, Sculptor's wifey

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post, it's so good to catch up and your lovely family.
    I always think the counrty side is very much like marmite, you love it or hate kind of thing going on.
    But at least you had a good time and even some you time thrown in too.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's the whole process of putting it all together from the very start to the very finish.

    --
    Jhon
    Home Security Systems no CREDIT CHECK everyone is approved

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x