Sunday, 7 March 2010

Birthday weekend


A post of mainly pictures due to my having lost the ability to talk, write or do anything other than hibernate. The result of a busy week of sewing that ended with the most lovely of birthday weekends: an amazing evening at the ballet with my family to celebrate mine and my sister's birthdays, birthday cake with the little Teacakes and then dinner, a magic show and late night chatter with good friends and Mr Teacakes while the small ones stayed at their grandparent's.


I have been spoilt with the most beautiful fabrics, colourful macaroons, scrumptious bath treats, a wonderful poetry book and perhaps most excitingly of all, our friend Ben arrived bearing handmade truffles (the note on the tin said that they had been 'handmade by artisans in Stockwell'...they are nearly all gone, but I will keep the label as it makes me laugh). There is also a new mannequin in my life...one that is actually the same size as me this time, but more on that in another post as it's too exciting to squash in here.

The fabrics are by Heather Bailey. I have decided that she is my very favourite designer - I love every range that she's ever done even more than the last. These came from overseas and arrived just in time for birthday unwrapping...I am so excited about sewing with them.

There are pinks...and you may be surprised to find that I also have some blues:


The bottom one of these will be turned into a summer skirt for myself. Which should be all the easier to make with the help of the new book that I was given by Mr Teacakes. It's called How to Use, Adapt and Design Sewing Patterns. I'm really excited about it - it is wonderfully geeky and goes into lots of detail...I've noticed that dress-making books tend to be much more satisfying to own than regular sewing books as they get into the nitty gritty of sewing so much more readily. I think it's the perfect follow up to Cal Patch's book that I raved about here.


Mr Teacakes also bought me some Japanese Sashiko threads and needles, a leather thimble and The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook...I have so many ideas for how I might incorporate some sashiko into summer handbags - I wish there were more hours in the day...I have been told that in four months I will be 1/3 of the way to 100. Damn.

Those of you that are long-time readers may remember that Mr Teacakes always makes me a birthday cake...there have been sewing machines and other stitch-related themes. This year was a patchwork quilt in four shades of pink. It tasted delicious.


It was a most appropriate cake as last week,  inbetween making up custom orders, I finished the double quilt that I was making for our bed (although this is white and cream...and not pink at all). This morning I woke at 4am and lay awake waiting until the sun began to shine through the curtains and then I allowed myself to very quietly make the patch that will be sewn on to the corner of the quilt to finish it off. The house felt cosy, full of sleeping guests, and I had the most lovely couple of hours happily hand-stitching in bed next to a slumbering Mr Teacakes and feeling that Spring must truly be about to arrive now that it is getting light so much earlier. Later Mr Teacakes made vast amounts of croissants and scrambled egg and for once I had breakfast (which I normally dislike) and felt thoroughly birthdayish. Such a lovely weekend.

I hope that your weekend was lovely too,
Florence x

17 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks like a wonderful birthday weekend! Happy Birthday! Can't wait to see the finished quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!!
    Does your husband offer lessons to other husbands on "getting your wife's birthday RIGHT"? lol
    Glad you had a great day.
    Andi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Florence! Any day with macaroons in it must, by definition, be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday dear Florence... so glad you were thoroughly spoiled!
    warmest wishes
    ginny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! It sounds like you've had a wonderful time

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday Florence. Looks like a wonderful weekend and I am happy for you.
    I recognize a Laduree box and wonder what flavor the pink macaroon was. The filling is white so it can not be rapsberry. Perhaps rose, but may be too early for that.
    Now you are going to start sashiko, I look forward your new creations soon.
    Chloe Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, happy birthday lovely Florence. I have the biggest fabric envy now! They are so gorgeous and I can't wait to see what you make with them. Manequinn??? Hurry up and show please! I may finally be inspired to use my poor dear who I only bought in August and has sat forlornly wearing a Christmas hat since december...sigh xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a lovely birthday, sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have enjoyed your blog for months now and would like to wish you a very happy birthday, albeit slightly belated. Your weekend sounds delightful and I look forward to reading about your plans with that lovely fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! Glad you were spoiled a little:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Florence!
    Your husband seems to know you so well which is lovely. It is awful when men get it so terribly wrong - worse than not bothering at all I think! Mr Teacakes has triumphed again - either he listens well to your hints or he is amazing at choosing for you (both rarities!)Wonderful cake, fantastic presents - gorgeous fabric!
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delightful weekend and birthday! I am truly jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday! I love doing Sashiko, its so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birhday Florence!
    I follow your blog for a few month now and I didn't know it was your birthday at the weekend. But it looks like you had a great weekend. You are very lucky to have such a wonderful husband and family!
    I am quite curious now about the mannequin thing and of course what will happen with those beautiful fabrics.

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Brithday! Sounds like you had a splendid weekend. May the year ahead bring you much joy.

    Looking forward to seeing the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. Happy belated birthday.

    Hmm, my last birthday I was surprised that my husband bothered to go out and buy a wee cake. I think I need to e-mail him this post to let him know that the bar is now set higher...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Belated happy birthday wishes, Florence! It sounds like you've had the loveliest time. Would you believe I have never tried a macaroon? I feel that I should rectify this immmediately seeing that beautiful pink concoction!
    Hope you are enjoying your birthday treats. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x