Thursday, 23 September 2010

Clock make-over


Yes, it's another item featuring Anna Maria Horner's Square Dance ...you'll be relieved to know that I've only ever been in possession of one panel of this fabric, so there's a limit to how long I can sew exclusively with it. However, rather than hiding it away I wanted to share this one with you as it was such a happy upcycling project (actually, I really dislike the word upcycling...it sounds like one of those awful buzz words that men in advertising use. Sometimes I think I may need saving from myself or just my keyboard confiscating). The clock frame and hands belong to the very pink Laura Ashely clock that my mother bought for Zebra-girl when she about three or four. However, yesterday I took it apart and re-covered its face.

I used a beautiful blue, slightly iridescent, fabric for the base and some bright metallic turquoise thread to sew the numbers with.


I used a protractor to mark out the placement of the numbers (each number is 30 degrees apart) and then drew them in disappearing ink before sewing them with a closed zigzag stitch on my machine.


Next I appliqued the flowers from the Square Dance panel on to the centre, before cutting a hole for the clock workings to poke through.


I then stretched the fabric over the clock face, using masking tape on the back to hold the fabric in place. And finally I mounted the clock hands, trying very hard to remember in what order they were meant to go on, placed it back in the frame and then kept my fingers crossed that the clock would still work - and it does - hurrah!


It's now safely hidden from view ready to be wrapped up for Zebra-girl's birthday next week...I'm so excited about giving it to her, even though I'm feeling a little guilty that she's receiving her own second-hand things for her birthday...is that wrong?

Florence x

13 comments:

  1. Oh you, with your ridiculously adorable projects that I love and covet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO!!! It is absolutely not qrong Florence; you have made her something new with so much love. How can that be wrong? And I loathe the words upcycle and pre-loved too even though I used them on my blog the other day. Oh, there's no hope! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW!! That is a really cute idea! :) Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why are all the words and phrases to describe such a nice process so uninspiring bordering on setting he teeth on edge - can't stand upcycling, or pre-loved or repurposed! I'm sure Zebra-girl will be delighted with her remade clock, Florence - very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely piece of work - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No that's not wrong! I think she will love it! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love it Florence! She'll love it! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first saw this I thought it was a painting! It's a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like "refurbished." It sounds very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's just lovely, I never would of thought about redoing a clock. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are my hero. I have not yet worked up the bravery to cut into my square dance panel in blue. Yet you have done it twice with unmatched results. I love this clock, and I want one of those sleeping bags in my size, please! Oh, and I totally thought you had a number-making stitch on your machine. Those numbers are much too precise to be done by hand! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a pretty and original (not to mention fiddly - all those numbers!) idea Florence. I don't think Zebra girl will even be thinking about the old clock - unless it's about how clever it is to change it into a completely new one! I think she will be really happy. I like 'upcycle' myself as it sounds like a positive upbeat thing to do and yes you are taking it up a notch. Pre-loved is better than used I think. Any nice things are suitable for gifts, regardless of their past. You are re-giving her clock as a reincarnated version, so not the same one at all! A present made with care, creativity and love - the perfect and best kind.
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x