Tuesday, 14 September 2010

Making pencil cases


Firstly, thank you so, so much for the warmth of your comments and emails in response to my last post - they were so much appreciated.


A new term, new pencil case post seems a little late for the 14th September, but I enjoyed making them so much that I want to share them anyway (I also love the idea that in years to come Zebra-girl might scroll through these pages and see a forgotten pencil case that accompanied her through a year of school life and be reminded of something of the 'feel' of that particular year). The fabrics and colours are all her own choices. Since last June we'd talked of a new pencil case that would be blue and yellow...but when she spotted the cake fabric in my fabric drawers the fact that it was pink became irrelevant. So as well as using the cake fabric as it was, she picked out her two favourite cakes and I appliqued them on beneath the place where I had embroidered her name in red thread.


She then chose some red polka dot fabric for me to make a ruffle with and a turquoise zip to stop the colours from becoming too saccharine. As usual, I learn a lot about colour from her - my first through was to put a red or pink zip on...but the turquoise she suggested brings the colours to life far better.


Inside is some of Rosalie Quinlan's lovely Grandmother's Flower Garden.


Last week Dinosaur-boy came home and said that many of the other children in his class have pencil cases (the school don't request that they take them in until next year, which is why I didn't automatically make one for him too). He said that he was happy to take in the one that I'd made him last year to use at home....but I love that 'new-term-fresh-stationery' feel so much myself that I wanted him to have something devoid of old pencil sharpenings.


Yesterday I shopped for new rulers and pencils for him in the morning and made the pencil case in the afternoon - yes, that's a self-indulgence to spend the whole day on a pencil case for one child...but I'm missing him during the day.


Paperchase have in stock lots of sharky writing paraphernalia that inspired the applique I made from plain grey cotton.


Inside is one of my favourite fabrics: it's sputnikky. I've added a velvet zip pull in dark charcoal for him too...good for stroking in the midst of a wobbly-bottom-lip maths moment. His name is also machine embroidered on the light grey section. My machine doesn't actually create the letters for me (as it's rather basic), but it's easy to write on fabric using a closed zigzag stitch in exactly the same way that you might go about applique - just write on the fabric with disappearing ink first - you can see a small sample of it in the second picture down at the top of this post.

Wishing you a happy Tuesday,
Florence x

18 comments:

  1. They're delightful - I'm sure you children will enjoy using them this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so lovely! I'm wanting to have a go at making pencil cases for my two, can you point me in the right direction for a tutorial. I'd love a tutorial for the ruffle pencil case!!! Hint. Hint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful, and expertly done I see. Your children are sure to be the envy of their classmates (not to mention the mothers!). Hope you are well x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much love and care has gone into both those pencil cases. I am sure that is what your children will see and remember if they look back on this post in the future. Take care. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - they are so so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so lovely. I'm afraid I took the lazy mummy route of buying a pencil case - hopefully the homemade cakes in their lunchboxes comnpensate a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some posh pencil cases! They look fantastic. I am sure the children will feel proud to show them off at school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always fall in love with your fabric choices. My nephew told me he didn't need a new schoolbag, pencil case, etc. because the ones he had from last year were still good, prompting me to ask "Who is this kid?" because I want to buy new supplies every September and I've been out of school forever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the joy of new pencil cases and pencils. These are lovely, Florence

    ReplyDelete
  10. What gorgeous pencil cases. It must be nice and comforting to have something mummy-made at school with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are just lovely. I'm starting to feel bad about the High School Musical pencil case my daughter is using. However, at 8 years old I'm afraid it's now cooler than Mummy's homemade stuff. I guess I could make one for myself though...
    Have a great day!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Justine - there's a basic tutorial in my sidebar for a zippered pouch (yes...awful, awful word), but it has been on my mind to incorporate ruffles, so I'll hopefully get to something along those lines soon.

    Dottiecookie - I think my children probably would have preferred the daily cake actually!

    Thank you for all the lovely commments. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those pencil cases are absolutely adorable! Love your applique details and the extra ruffle - seriously cute! They'll be the envy of all the kids at school.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, those are great - but as lovely as the cupcakes and ruffles are, it's the shark that I love. My son would love something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are both very lovely Florence and show your great ability to mix fabrics. Well done you x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just wanted to let you know that I am new in sewing..and stayed away from zips all the time. Then, I stumbled upon your tutorial on making zips..and voila..I made 4 in a day! Pouches and pencil cases for the children. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love these! you did such a good job:)
    gina
    http://hiyaluv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - it's always really lovely to hear from people.

I now tend to reply within the comments section, so please do check back if you've asked a question or wish to chat.

Florence x